Sunday 1 May 2011

Master of the Universe becomes Fifty Shades of Grey

It has been dubbed Master of the Universe Appreciation Day so of course I had to post something! So here goes – probably my last MotU banner *sniff*



It’s no secret that I am a huge Master of the Universe fan. This little blog gives me away even if my tweets and reviews don’t already. I was thrilled for Icy when she shared the news that she was publishing with The Writers Coffee Shop. It came as no surprise as it was obvious that publishers were going to want this story – they would be crazy not to want this.

But for me, my obsession with Twilight FanFiction is just that – an obsession with Twilight and its characters. I found FanFiction.net because I was looking for a finished version of Midnight Sun, but once I opened that Pandora’s box I got all kinds of addicted. I just couldn’t leave the characters of Edward and Bella alone and for almost two years I didn’t read any other fiction purely because their story is never complete for me. Every film that I watch, song that I hear and now that I have started reading original fiction again, story that I read, all comes back to Edward and Bella – they are so deeply are they ingrained in my psyche.

So originally at the thought of MotU being reworked and stripped of all it’s Twilight references, I found myself wondering whether I could love it still if it wasn’t Edward and Bella – the characters I have grown to love so well. I was happy for Icy of course, just a little apprehensive that I, due to my crazy brain, would lose something essential in the conversion from Edward and Bella to two unknown, unfamiliar names and faces.

I am a sharer by nature and so just to get a little TMI – turn away if you must – I was browsing some tweets in the bath when I read one from @Raizie7 about a Christian Grey. I wondered who it was and followed a link and saw this -> http://www.thewriterscoffeeshop.com/publishinghouse/books/detail/23 and literally got goose bumps!

My fear fell away and I was left with pure excitement. I should have known to trust in our Icy. The title is so stirring to a MotU fan – the fifty shades analogy and persona still in place, the duality of the title playing on the strong name of Christian Grey. We can live this story again in all its glory. I can’t wait and will definitely be pre-ordering this book for my Kindle to hear what Ana has to say… I wonder if she rocks the ellipsis as much as Bella ;) Does she have a wanton inner goddess and a snarky subconscious with half-moon shaped glasses? I am excited to find out.

And so I suppose it’s time to say thank you, Icy. It’s been one hell of a ride. From finding a good story on FanFiction.net, to ambling innocently into a Twilighted forum, to gaining a wealth of friends on Twitter. MotU is an amazing story that holds a special place in my heart, but even more so because it is the story that prompted me to join this crazy community of Twi-lovers that has become a huge part of my life. I’ve done more, learnt more and made more friends in the last year than I have in a long time. So this is a thank you to you, Icy for being not only a talented writer with an infuriating penchant for painful cliff-hangers, but for being the catalyst of my journey into this world. And this an equally grateful thank you to all of you amazing ladies that have shared this experience with me, made me laugh and made me cry and changed my life for the better.

 refont.com - Glitter textrefont.com - Glitter textrefont.com - Glitter textrefont.com - Glitter textrefont.com - Glitter textrefont.com - Glitter textrefont.com - Glitter textrefont.com - Glitter textrefont.com - Glitter text

Laters, baby, because of course this ride isn’t over!

Rhian
xx

And naturally, I just couldn't leave that tie picture alone…             


2 comments:

Icy said...

Holy Hell Rhian!!! your fifty shades of grey banner is awesome!
Thank you for your lovely words.
This has what this has meant for me too - meeting so many lovely, talented, funny, warm, bright wonderful women like yourself.
And for that I am grateful.
xox

Unknown said...

Raunchy doesn't even cut it for your Fifty Shades of Grey banner! Love it.

And your post captures what what MOTU has meant for a lot of us. Perfect.

Post a Comment

 
Powered by Blogger