Monday 28 February 2011

Master of the Universe

I am still in shock from the ending of the last chapter of the amazing Master of the Universe. I’m still surprised over the pregnancy revelation from the chapter before it, actually.

Icy has masterfully lured us into a false sense of security. She has rendered a solid foundation for their relationship with more open communication between them than ever before. We have seen the growth of a mutual trust that was shining through just mere moments ago it seems. I had gotten to a place where the things that I feared for this couple were external – fears for Charlie, worries about James – and my confidence in the security of Edward and Bella’s relationship was unwavering. Then bam! Kudos, Icy. Really.

Along comes a little blip, and it’s so much more than a blip on the radar; it is change and a responsibility that neither are ready for. It is a loss of control that our Fifty can simply not comprehend at this juncture in his life. He has so little faith in himself and this pregnancy has caused his faith in Bella to falter too. My heart breaks.

This is such a shock for them both and I know all too well how Edward feels unworthy of love and has fears that run much deeper than most about his ability to be a father, but nevertheless his reaction hurt. I know that it is all based on his own fear – Bella could see that when he exploded:

“You think I’m ready to be a father?” His voice catches, and it’s a mixture of rage and panic.

And it all becomes clear, the fear and loathing writ large in his eyes – his rage is that of a powerless adolescent. Oh Fifty, I am so sorry. It’s a shock for me too.



Add Edward’s drunken evening with Irina to the mix and everything is shaken. It's so sad to see him fall back to a place where he would seek her out as someone to lean on. I really hope that he just bumped into her somewhere.

It’s been a long time since I’ve been so scared for this couple. During their separation *shudders at the memory* the following song was often in my mind, and here it is again:




"All that I keep thinking throughout this whole flight
Is it could take my whole damn life to make this right
This splintered mast I'm holding on won't save me long
Because I know fine well that what I did was wrong

The last girl and the last reason to make this last for as long as I could
First kiss and the first time that I felt connected to anything
The weight of water, the way you told me to look past everything I had ever learned
The final word in the final sentence you ever uttered to me was love

And I don't know where to look
My words just break and melt
Please just save me from this darkness"

I never thought I would see this pair at such odds again. *sniffs* Come on, Edward. Bella and the Blip need you.

Anyone want a hug? You can come sing Come What May with Ange and me if you like…

*hugs*

Not that I need to tell you, but you can find MotU on Icy's blog: http://50shades.com/ 

Rhian
xx

6 comments:

C r y s t a l said...

First of all, how did I NOT know about this blog?
Second, you just reduced me to tears in my office. You hit the nail on the head with this post and I feel exactly the same. I have been constantly replaying the last chapter in my head and continuously getting upset over it. I'm headed away on vacation this week and just told Icy, if she updates when I'm on top of a volcano - I WILL be reading it.

HeyCarrieAnn said...

Oh bb! I will come and sing with you and Ange!! I need the hugs too! Loved the post and I feel the exact same!!! I told Icy she made me cry! I am scared! Hate thar Irina is back in his life!!

Kathy#1 said...

I'm dying here....you said exactly what I was thinking. I am sick about Irina....sick. And we have to wait for Icy to update..damn her RL. (jk, love her).

lipca said...

The last MOTU chapter really made us all so sad for Bella. I loved that you made a post about it. I love the banner too.

Ange said...

Oh my... I already told you my thoughts on this write up... but I just wanted to add that anyone is welcome to some of my Jose Cuervo... hugs are nice and all but the next update may require some heavy liquor *gulps*

Rhian0000 said...

Thank you for the lovely comments, ladies. It is amazing how MotU never fails to evoke such strong emotions in it's readers. Beautiful really. Even if my heart is breaking right now.

I will take a shot of the tequila. Who brought the lemon and salt?

Cheers all.
xx

Post a Comment

 
Powered by Blogger